12 Dec 2020
Career advise - Struggle to choose between 2 companies (Startup vs ACME co.)
- Interview the company as much as they interview you.
- Keep an open-mind to job hunting, you are not married to the job. If you don't like it, you can always look for the next one while you are on the job.
🤔 How to evaluate a company
- People - Do they have senior UX people that can guild you? Do you feel a good vibe?
- Structure - Where does Design report to?
- Maturity - What is the UX maturity of this company?
- Package - Salary, holiday, perks..etc.
❓ Questions to ask the company
- "What is your design process?" Make sure to drill really deep so you can get a full picture
- "How do you do research here? Have you set a side a budget?" Check to see does the company mean it when they say they value UX
- "What is the biggest challenge a designer will face here?"
- "What will I do day to day?"
My article on What it’s like working in Agency, Startup & Corporate in Hong Kong